Okoth Obado and Co-Accused Set for September Sentencing in Sharon Otieno Murder Case

Published:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado and his two co-accused will return to the High Court in Nairobi on September 16 for sentencing following their conviction over the murder of university student Sharon Otieno. As the court prepares to determine their fate, Sharon’s family has opened up about the financial and emotional toll of losing their daughter, while the three convicts have made separate pleas for leniency.

Highlights

  • Sentencing has been set for September 16 at the High Court in Milimani.
  • Sharon Otieno’s family says it spent about Sh4.7 million on the case and funeral arrangements.
  • The family has asked the court to consider compensation and the long-term impact of the loss.
  • Obado has maintained his innocence and requested a non-custodial sentence.
  • His two co-accused have expressed regret while denying direct involvement in the killing.

Main Story

Court Sets Sentencing Date

The High Court at Milimani has scheduled September 16 as the earliest date for sentencing former Migori Governor Okoth Obado, his former personal assistant Michael Juma Oyamo and Migori County Government employee Caspal Ajwang Obiero.

The date was confirmed after the court directed all parties to exchange the victim impact statement and subsequently file their submissions on mitigation and sentencing.

The prosecution requested between seven and 14 days to prepare its submissions, with the court indicating that the proposed timeline would be considered.

Sharon Otieno’s Family Details Heavy Toll

In their victim impact statement, Sharon Otieno’s family described years of emotional and financial hardship following her death in September 2018.

The family told the court that it has spent approximately Sh1.2 million attending proceedings and another Sh3.5 million on funeral-related expenses.

With the financial pressure mounting, the family said it was forced to sell a one-acre parcel of land and a cow to help cover the costs.

They are now seeking compensation, saying their limited financial resources make it difficult to meet the needs of Sharon’s children, her siblings and her ageing parents.

Sharon Left Behind Young Children

Sharon was 26 when she died. She was seven months pregnant and studying for a diploma in Medical Records at Rongo University.

Her death left behind children who are now between nine and 12 years old.

The family told the court that the circumstances surrounding her death have left lasting emotional scars, describing the violence involved as exceptionally severe.

Sharon’s mother also addressed an attempted reconciliation approach from the family of one of the accused.

She questioned why the effort had come after the conviction, although the family said it had forgiven the individual involved. Despite the forgiveness, they maintained that the court should impose an appropriate punishment for the offence.

Obado Maintains His Innocence

Obado, who is 64 and currently held at GK Kamiti Maximum Prison, has continued to deny involvement in Sharon’s killing.

In his pre-sentence report, the former governor said he neither committed nor participated in the murder. He attributed his predicament to political conflicts and what he described as attempts to damage his reputation.

Although he did not accept responsibility for the offence, Obado acknowledged the devastating consequences of Sharon’s death and said he was willing to reconcile with her family.

He asked the court to show leniency, citing his age, health and the lengthy period the case has taken. He has also requested a non-custodial sentence.

Oyamo Expresses Regret

Oyamo, who previously served as Obado’s personal assistant, also spoke about his situation in the pre-sentence report.

He reportedly reflected on what he described as misplaced loyalty to his employer and said he failed to appreciate the consequences of his actions at the time.

Oyamo expressed sadness over Sharon’s death, saying he would have acted differently had he known how events would ultimately unfold.

He also expressed regret over the loss of Sharon and her unborn child.

Obiero Denies Direct Participation

Obiero, who worked for the Migori County Government, has similarly denied taking part in the murder.

However, the pre-sentence report notes that his vehicle was used to transport individuals connected to the case to and from the crime scene.

Obiero acknowledged the suffering experienced by Sharon’s relatives and expressed regret over the consequences of the incident.

According to the report, Sharon’s family has not received any reconciliation effort from him, with his financial situation reportedly limiting such attempts.

Families and Community Seek Leniency

The pre-sentence reports paint all three men as individuals who have enjoyed positive relationships within their families and communities.

Their supporters highlighted their involvement in community development, assistance to vulnerable people and church activities.

The communities have also indicated that they would be prepared to support their rehabilitation and reintegration if the court opts for non-custodial sentences.

The court will now consider the victim impact statement, mitigation submissions and other relevant factors before determining the appropriate punishment.

The September 16 hearing is expected to mark a major turning point in a case that has remained in the public spotlight since Sharon’s death in 2018.

For Sharon Otieno’s family, the September sentencing will not erase the loss but it could mark the beginning of a new chapter after years of waiting for justice.

- Advertisement -

Related articles

Recent articles